Thursday, December 16, 2010

yesterday... day 1

Since 0413 yesterday morning until now, my life has been a giant blur. It's probably a combination of jet lag, new crazy place, no sleep, and altitude (11,000 ft). I attempted to stay awake all night in the Lima airport...but it just wasn't happening. I sprawled out on some chairs with my carry-on bags tucked firmly under me and as soon as my head hit my travel pillow... It was over.

Side note about a travel pillow: said travel pillow was acquired in Belgium from a dear friend named Tom at the Rock Werchter music festival. He was Australian. He was cool. It was a surprise pillow. He stuffed it in my bag as we parted ways. 3 years later I am still using the pillow everywhere I go. It has traveled with me to Italy, Slovenia, Switzerland, Hungary, Greece, Latvia, Germany, Lithuania, Estonia, Costa Rica, Panama, and now Peru. It's saved my neck every time, literally, and it's a good memory of a great summer and a good place in life. End side note.


Something short of miraculous woke me up about 20 minutes before my flight was leaving. I looked at the time and had a bit of a panic. I swear I sleep walked to my gate, got yelled at in Spanish, and boarded the plane. Window seat again. Pillow. Head. Sleep. I couldn't keep my eyes open. It felt like 30 lb weights were hanging from my lids. I awoke to a bumpy landing in Cuzco...and clapping. I haven't heard clapping on a plane since Italy. I found my backpack on the luggage carousel shortly after and then luckily my ride. I literally feel like I passed out in Lima and woke up in my bed in Cuzco.

There is some kind of strike going on in the airport...something to do with water rights for Arequipa. So things went a little off plan as far as finding my ride...but a nice man helped me out.

First impressions of Cuzco.... dirty, crowded yet small, poverty, men with guns, lots of dogs, crazy drivers...all the things that make South America great. It's rugged and I like that. I haven't been scared at all. There is nothing to be scared of as long as you are smart and have your wits about you. In America, things are so easy...too easy... I like this.

I am staying in a house full of dorms basically. I am sharing a room with 2 other girls from Australia. They are volunteering as well... They are really nice. I have met mostly Australians and Americans. Which is cool. I was told I have an accent..like a twang/southern accent. It is the Heber in me. That was funny to hear.

Went to the black market today to try to find a digital camera. I have my Holga and my Droid camera and I was thinking that would be enough. However, my film had to be X rayed in Lima...which is supposedly harmful and will ruin photos. I have researched it online and read that it would take multiple passes for it to be noticeable. Which lifted my spirits because I was really looking forward to using my 120 film. Peru is such a mystical place I wanted to capture it in such a medium that really plays that up...like my Holga would. My Droid camera is amazing. However, the battery life is lucky to last a day, and that will not do on the Machu Picchu Trek or Lake Titicaca where I won't be with power for days. So tomorrow my mission in life is to find a digicam and I leave for Lake Titicaca around 6 pm. Hopping on a night bus.

I have taken it easy for most of the day. My phone doesn't text or call. of course.... so I am still trying to figure that out. I have free internet though. So Skype may have to do. I can get one here if I need to, but I like that idea of not having a phone really. I am not feeling altitude sickness really at all...I felt lightheaded and dizzy at first right off the plane, but it's barely noticeable now. I climb up to over 12,000 ft in Lake Titicaca. So we will see. I am going to gnaw on some coca leaves for sure.

Possibly going white water rafting on Sunday when I get back from Puno/Lake Titicaca with my roomie. Been talking about other sorts of adventures with the people here. I definitely don't think I am going to be bored. ever.

I am glad I am here. Ready to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment