Monday, December 20, 2010

Siddhartha


I have been wanting to read this book for a long time now. It was given to me by a friend as a gift earlier this year. I tried to read it in Escalante over Fall Break, but it I just couldn't find time or the attention span.

I almost didn't bring it with me to Peru, but something made me put it in my bag.

On my night bus ride to Puno, I read it in one sitting. I never put it down. Finished.

It's not a big book, but it requires a lot of deep thinking and processing. So it takes longer than you might expect.

I haven't had a book tug at my soul strings like that in a long while. It really resonated with me. Certain things have happened in the past couple of months that have instigated a lot of soul searching. When coupled with my whole life experience thus far, it was really powerful.

I truly believe I was meant to read it at this exact moment. If I had read it before I arrived in Peru, before I experienced certain pain and growing back home, I wouldn't have "gotten" it quite like I did... I am certain I would have really enjoyed it and I would have integrated a lot of ideas and ways of thinking from it... but not have taken it in as deeply into my heart.

So thank you person who gave me the book, who actually is a cause of a lot of the pain and spurred such soul searching (ironic isn't it). I truly believe these things are meant to find you.

And with that said, I know what my next tattoo will be. A lotus flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment