Thursday, December 16, 2010

alive. day 2

Today I got a shower! and it was hot! and glorious.
Found a digicam. 12 megapixels. 5 zoom. Fuji for less than $200.
Bought a really cool poncho/hoodie from a Peruvian lady...it has black and white stripes...very cool. It was 22 Soles..so that is about $9.00.
Walked around. Got my bearings. People watched.
The people are very poor here. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it in my travels before. Maybe close in Panama or Belize... but I think this takes the cake. Something is just different.
Caught a taxi...by myself... this is the thing I have been most nervous for. These guys can take you into the hills and rob/kill you. But I was assured that during the day taxis are safe. The guy who picked me up was an older Peruvian man. He had like a total of 7 teeth. He was very nice. He asked where I was from and I told him Canada. : ) Had a pretty decent conversation in Spanish. I told him I was a nurse and going to work in the hospital here. He understood what I was saying so that was good. We kind of got lost because I am horrible with directions and in my sleep walking yesterday failed to take notice of what my home base surrounding area looks like. Once we found it I knew... but it took a minute.

So with the first solo taxi ride under my belt I am feeling better. I have a night bus ride tonight. I arrive in Puno at 0400 am. From there I go to a Hotel Europa for about 4 hours. Then I head out to the islands where I will be staying the night with the natives and hiking to Inca ruins...maybe seeing a city under the sea.... Should be interesting.

The thing I am most nervous for is catching a taxi from the bus terminale to my house again. I arrive back at 0400 am and will have to take a taxi. I read over and over you shouldn't take a taxi at night. But I was told that if they are inside the terminale you will be fine, and just to not go outside the terminale for a cheaper taxi. I am sure everything will be fine. It's just a tiny bit more scary when you are alone... and this is definitely not Europe folks...not even Eastern Europe.

I feel like I am settling in more. There is definitely a culture shock things that takes getting used to. It's exhilarating though...

I am going to run to the grocery store (Mega) to get water and look for some shoes.

It's so cheap here. I can't believe how little things cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment