Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The day it all went wrong...but right.

Typically, on a day that transpired like the day I am about to tell you about, I would have freaked out, high anxiety, with impending doom mentality...but I didn't... I did exactly the opposite and let the events occur as they may....and just let go of all control and worry.....and it turned out to be memorable.

It all began when I jumped in my car, already running late for work (of course), and rockets do not lift off, engine does not turn over.... no go... I tried to call in for backup, but backup (Mom) is not answering her phone. Hmmm.... so I decide to call work and inform them I will be riding Trax and that I will be late.

I don't ride Trax very often, especially not South which requires a transfer downtown. So when it came time to transfer, naturally, I hopped on the wrong train and started heading back exactly the way I came... I kind of laughed to myself...never getting angry or anxious....

I got off at the next stop to give try again at this transfer thing...while waiting I befriended a little homeless girl and mom. She asked me if I was a doctor because I was in my nurse scrubs. I told her no I wasn't a doctor that I was even cooler than that because I was a nurse. She was very friendly and told me all about how she hates shots. It was a very pleasant and unusual encounter. It made me smile.

While waiting for the correct train on Main Street Station I did some serious people watching. I was already 40 minutes late for work...but I wasn't sweating it...there was nothing I could do really, other than go with it....the people watching was great though.....

There was this couple from the Netherlands trying to navigate the city. It was interesting not being the "tourist" and being the "local" being looked at with new eyes.

After a successful Sandy train boarding, I was South bound on my way to the hospital. All I had on me were my car keys, my debit card, and my trauma shears...no wallet with student ID (trax pass)....I wasn't worried though because the Trax police never board and check... right???

So I am sure you can imagine my surprise when the Trax police boarded and started asking people for their tickets....I never really got anxious or worried... I just accepted the fact that I am probably going to get a hundred some odd dollar ticket and surrendered to my stupidity of not bringing my pass... and then.... the police man looked at me......just looked at me...and kept walking. Didn't even ask me!? And those guys are rumored to be complete jerk-offs when it comes to their ticket giving... I was completely amazed at my luck!

I did some more observing the vast expanse of humanity on that train. A lot of poor people...minorities...homeless...The little girl next to me was very proud to inform her Dad that her foot was asleep.......he was very concerned....and very relieved when she later informed him it was "waking back up now"..... It doesn't matter what or who you are... love is the same in all shapes, sizes, and colors......

I made my exit when I got a visual on my hospital. . . Part of being late was that I missed a CPR re-certification pass off class. This pass off was not to be held again until December. I would be in huge trouble if I did not renew my CPR card (with work and nursing school--->like suspended in trouble)....but I didn't stress about it...

Some magic intervention in time just so happened to place me getting off the elevator and walking into the ER at the exact same time and the CPR pass off instructor Chris was leaving the room with all his supplies... I didn't even know what room he was going to be in, and the pass off was long over, I thought...we saw each other and he offered to pass me off right then and there. Crisis averted! Done.... all problems resolved... and resolved themselves without me freaking out and trying to take control of the situation....I just went along for the ride and it was much more fun that way...Walked in to work...didn't even get into trouble.. and had a great night taking care of patients...

Definitely not my typical 10 minute, solitary commute to work... But it felt like I was exactly where I needed to be at the exactly the right times...except for work of course.. but who needs to be at work anyway right? Magic.

1 comment:

  1. Damn girl, you're chill as a cucumber! Way to keep your composure. That's probly why you got out of the ticket. That and the scrubs.

    ReplyDelete