Friday, March 18, 2011

Thailand


It's amazing how a few simple yes's can lead to opportunities to something you have always dreamed. When I got back from Peru, I told myself I wouldn't go on another medical travel mission without having a comprehensive medical team with a plan to execute upon arrival. I am sick of the disorganization that so often accompanies the typical medical volunteer abroad programs....

So, my professor Mary called me early one morning to accompany her on a spur of the moment meeting with Amy who also works with refugees. I had 10 minutes to get out of bed and get ready. I almost told her "no" but something in me made me say "yes".

After our meeting, Amy mentioned she was going on a trip to Thailand this summer to work in the Burmese refugee camps. She invited me to come along if I possibly could. Mary's eyes lit up and she really encouraged me to try work things out with school so I would be able to go.

Considering this summer semester is my last, and includes an intensive capstone rotation, I thought my chances were a long shot. However, Mary has really been advocating for me and contacting all the necessary personnel in order to get me to go. She has really gone above and beyond for me.

So, after some leg work and serious persuading... things are looking more in my favor. My Dad has offered up some of his sky miles to pay for the flight. I think I can round up the money necessary to go.

Mary said it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity because it is very difficult to get permission to actually go into refugee camps and work with that population. It is a program in the University of Utah, with departments in Public Health, Occupational Health, and Social Work participating. They would really like a nurse to come along too.

This is what I have dreamed about doing... and now, hopefully, if everything works out... I will be fortunate enough to go. It would be an honor to work alongside these other professionals, and it would be the REAL deal. Pray to the travel gods for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment