Thursday, March 17, 2011

Life After Facebook.

I deleted my Facebook. Why? Because it's a self indulgent time suck, and I wanted to see what wonderful productive things I could do in the hours I would normally be dumping on the social network. People should be reading about what is going on in this crazy freaking world, about real things that matter, not obsessing about how their profile page looks or conjuring up the next witty thing to say after they have had hours to think about it.

It's phony. It's kitsch.

Everyone I care about is a real part of my life. I can touch them, hug them, talk to them face to face. That is what real human connection is all about. I fear that virtuality is replacing all that is real. If my "friends" want to see how/what I am doing they make an effort to be a real part of my life and they can call me or come over. I would never meet--> date anyone on Facebook. And I have had some really strange friend requests lately. To me, Facebook is strangely reminiscent of Myspace now. Everyone and their dog is on Facebook. And lord knows how I hate to follow the crowd.

The one and only thing that was keeping me on Facebook was the ability to stay in touch with the many lovely people I have met traveling... luckily I can reactivate my account if I were to travel again or need to make contact with my friends around the world.

I will admit it does have it good points as far as getting people together for certain causes and events...I am not a total Facebook hater. I just need a long hiatus. I want to disappear. I am sick of the scene here anyway. Salt Lake City is getting much too small for my taste.

So, for now, so long virtual world. Adios. Ciao. Arevafuckingderci.... Here 's to my personal liberation from the bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment