Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A taste of the future.


One of my biggest dreams of all, and really the end goal to all my nursing endeavors, is to get involved with Global Health initiatives. This dream blossomed during a trip to Belize. It was my first time out of the United States, and I saw the huge need for health care services for the locals.

Each time I travel, this need is something that is continually reinforced as a major issue in this world. So many people living on this planet don't have access to quality care, and therefore have to overcome an unfair disadvantage. An integral part to a life of quality is one's health. Without health, one is severely limited and unable to contribute to the greater good.

Albert Einstein was a key player in the International Rescue Committee that serves refugees from all over the world. He is really one of my biggest heros. Not only was he a genius, he was a humanitarian. One of my favorite things he has ever said is, "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful. Life is sacred, that is to say, it is the supreme value, to which all other values are subordinate."

Recently, I have been doing some volunteer work with the refugee and Spanish population at Hartland in West Valley. I met with the Burundi (think Rwanda--Hutus and Tutsi bloodshed) leader last week to discuss a project involving a presentation about how and what to eat here in the United States in order to maintain good health. His father has recently had a stroke that the doctor linked to poor diet and high blood pressure. He told me that many of them have never seen or tasted the fruits and vegetables we have here. He said his people are eating a lot of meat and fast food thinking it's good for them simply because they are in America and so it must be healthy and good.

I have 2 weeks to prepare a interactive, fun presentation for the Burundi people. I have 90 minutes to try to teach them about nutrition. Normally, I hate public speaking. Nothing can raise my blood pressure more than standing in front of a group of people and being the center of attention. However, this time I am really excited. I feel really passionate about what we are trying to accomplish, and it is a skill I need to develop if I want to help people across the world.

I can't even describe how full of love my heart feels when I am working with the refugees. I am learning many things and making many contacts that will put me on the right path to make another one of my giant dreams a reality. Here's to big dreamin' and to following (and listening) to your heart....








No comments:

Post a Comment