Saturday, January 8, 2011

Espanolism

:::::Another Night In the Jungle::::


I just have to say that my Spanish was pretty freaking decent by the time I left Peru. I was able to understand most of what people were saying. Speaking always comes last...

I could have very basic conversations with locals... I definitely could ask for what I needed and directions. I got professional at bartering in the markets.

I even had a cute little Peruvian grandma adopt me on my bus ride to the Amazon... she fed me her bread and shared a blanket with me...We talked about her daughter with asthma and her other daughter going to nursing school. She pointed out animals, trees, and flowers and named them for me. :)

I can only imagine how the experience would be heightened if you could fully converse in the native language. That's the only way you won't feel so much like an outsider and get to intimately know the country you travel in. That's the only way you can truly make a difference too.

One of my goals this year is to keep up on it and learn it. It has been on my goal list every year.... and I always neglect it. This year.... no excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment